Frequently Asked Questions

Wind Energy FAQs Solar Energy FAQs

Wind Energy FAQs

What is it like to work with Infinity Renewables?

A. The Infinity Renewables team has the goal of developing a long-term relationship with each landowner in every project we develop since we recognize that these projects are only possible through collaboration. As landowner advocates, we strive to provide you with the best information possible, prompt responsiveness, and expert advice. When working with Infinity Renewables you’ll always get a straight and honest answer.

Will a wind turbine affect the way I use my property?

A. You can maintain all normal activities on your property once a wind energy project is operating. Wind projects typically take up only about 3% of your land. You can farm or ranch right up to the maintenance road surrounding the wind turbine foundation. Some landowners have earned more from the wind turbines on 3% of their land than they have from farming or ranching the other 97%.

What does a wind turbine sound like?

A. Well-designed, utility-scale wind turbines are generally quiet in operation and it is possible to have a normal conversation at the very base of an operating wind turbine. The sound heard from wind turbines at a distance, as with other local sources of sound, is affected by many factors including the wind direction, meteorological conditions, vegetation and other barriers. Since wind projects are always located where the wind speed is higher than average, the background sound of the wind itself will often “mask” any sounds that might be produced by operating wind turbines - especially because the wind turbines only run when the wind is blowing.

What impacts do wind turbines have on birds?

A. The wind industry as a whole takes the safety of wildlife very seriously. Extensive avian and wildlife studies will be completed prior to construction in order to best design the wind project to minimize any impact. For more information on wind energy and impacts on wildlife, you can go here  or here.

Wind doesn’t blow all the time. Can utilities use the power when it’s needed?

A. Wind energy is an intermittent resource, meaning power is only produced when there enough wind to turn the turbine blades. Most utilities have a diverse mix of energy generation sources, creating the flexibility to increase or decrease generation depending on the electricity demand at a given time. Because of this inherent flexibility in the system, other energy sources can typically be ramped-down when the wind is blowing and that fuel can be saved for times when it’s not windy. Many utilities have decades of experience integrating wind energy into their system and have seen few drawbacks.


Solar Energy FAQs

How much land does a solar energy project require?

A. A typical utility-scale solar energy project utilizing trackers requires between 6 to 8 acres per megawatt (MW). The trackers direct the photovoltaic panels from east to west over the course of the day in order to increase production by following the trajectory of the sun.

Will a solar project affect the way I use my property?

A. A solar project needs exclusive surface usage of the dedicated solar area, but you can maintain regular use of your property outside of that area. That being said, with advances in horizontal drilling technology, a designated drilling area outside of the solar area can be used to access any subsurface minerals underneath the entire property.

How tall is a typical solar project?

A. Solar panels placed on trackers can be between 6 to 9 feet tall at maximum height, allowing for topography and any extra clearance for floodplain. A fixed tilt solar project can be up to 10 feet tall at maximum height – about the height of a single story building.

What makes a good solar project?

A. Access to nearby transmission lines with available capacity and a market for buying solar electricity. And, of course, lots of sun!

What happens at night or on a cloudy day?

A. Solar projects produce their peak output during a summer day. However, solar photovoltaic panels can produce electricity in both direct sunlight and indirect (ambient) light. So, even when it’s cloudy, solar projects can still produce energy. A detailed weather forecast of expected annual production is given to a utility for their system planning purposes.

How long does a solar project last?

A. Solar panels, trackers, and inverters are designed with a 30-year lifespan, so most projects are contracted to last that long.